- Haringey Disability First Consortiumconsists of four main partners, namely, Haringey Race and Equality Council, Haringey Citizen’s Advice Bureaux, Age UK (Haringey), and Haringey Women’s Forum with the aim of making a real difference to the way people experience, benefit and are represented on disability issues in Haringey.
- The four main partners between them have decades of representation experience covering the diverse and vulnerable communities of Haringey and we will harness our combined skills to offer a new disabilities service in Haringey.
- The Consortium has established appropriate networks to develop full participation from all sections of the local disabled community to improve local service delivery and the planning of future services and policies.
- This Consortium will also complement the national picture which demonstrates the capacity to embrace more than one equality strand, thus demonstrating value for money.
In our opinion, there is clearly a role for an independent championing body, Haringey Disability First Consortium to perform the following roles in the borough:
- Promotion and awareness of disability issues, rights and responsibilities to the public, statutory stakeholders, and the private sector
- Establish and support a Disability Forum for both individuals and organisations, with an interest in disability issues.
- Work in partnership with the local authority and other key stakeholders to ensure best practice in its role as an employer and service provider on disability issues.
- The Consortium will provide the opportunity to facilitate arrangements in Haringey, through which the local authority and other key stakeholders can work with the community to carry out its responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010
The Consortium is well placed to undertake this role, due to the partners’ established place in the community and its long record of work on equalities issues.